Sunday, January 30, 2011

American Tastebuds

Mac + Cheese alla Martha + Amanda


*I found this recipe about two years ago on the Martha Stewart website.  It is THE BEST mac and cheese I have EVER had!! It is complicated, but well worth it.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.  In the past I've made some delicious substitutions.  I have omitted the cayenne pepper before, and I've used smoked swiss cheese instead of the Gruyere.  Below is the original.


Ingredients:
*plain bread crumbs
*7 tbs butter
*5 1/2 cups milk
*1/2 cup all-purpose flour
*1/4 tsp nutmeg
*1/4 tsp black pepper
*1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
*4 1/2 cups (8oz) grated sharp white cheddar cheese
*2 cups (8oz) grated Gruyere cheese
*1 pound elbow macaroni 


Directions:
*heat oven to 375 degrees.  
*ALWAYS shred the cheese before beginning anything else!! That was my very first mistake the initial time with this recipe.  You don't want that kind of workout--trust me.
*Melt 1 tbs butter, and fork in breadcrumbs...set aside.
*In a medium saucepan over medium heat milk (or you can do this in the microwave which I have done)
*In a high-sided skillet over medium heat melt 6 tbs butter.  When butter bubbles, add flour.  Cook, stirring.  1 minute
*Slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking.  Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.  
*Remove pan from heat.  Stir in, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups of the cheddar cheese and 1 1/2 cups Gruyere.  Set cheese sauce aside.
*Cook macaroni as per direction on the box but under cook 2-3 minutes.
*Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce
*Pour the mixture into a casserole dish.  Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar and 1/2 cup Gruyere.  Scatter breadcrumbs over the top.  
*Bake until brown on top, about 30 minutes.  Cook for 5 before serving!
*ENJOY!!!! =)


LET'S GO GREEN BAY PACKERS, where cheese is made possible!!! 

1 comment:

  1. This IS by far the best mac and cheese recipe, Amanda...
    You were right! I'm so glad you showed me how to make this!
    Delicious!
    *looking forward to the Super Bowl {for the first time ever ;o)
    love you ♥
    ~mom

    ReplyDelete